Casa da Arco da Cadeia is a construction that dates back to the 14th/15th centuries. In its origin, it was used as a prison and Town council. With the construction of the new “Paços do Concelho”, in the 16th century, in the adjoining building (now the Abílio Mattos Silva Museum), it lost its function as the headquarters building of the Municipality, maintaining its original characteristics until the 20th century.
In 1958, the painter Abílio de Mattos e Silva buys Casa do Arco, after, in 1938, he painted two houses with arches in his work “Óbidos Vila Antiga de Portugal”. The house was later restored in a project developed by Maria José Salavisa, his widow. This house was donated to the Municipality of Óbidos, by itself, in honour of her husband.
The opening of this space is a tribute to both and can be visited by appointment only.