Former Chapel of Holy Spirit, the Almshouse of Óbidos was founded here by Queen Leonor, according to tradition, in 1498. The church underwent several reforms, mostly by the end of the 16th century, when it was rebuilt, being the most important, at least in its interior, carried out in the second decade of the 17th century by the Almshouse ombudsman and Prior of Saint Peter’s Church, João Vieira Tinoco.
A portal of bold composition stands out on the exterior, topped by a niche with an image of the Virgin with the Child in glazed and painted ceramics, probably produced in Lisbon from the years 1665 to 1680 (José Meco, 1998). The wooden doors are dated 1623.
The interior of a single nave is entirely covered with blue and yellow tiles of standard or carpet type, due to the textile suggestions in the pattern used (c.1625-30). It should be noted the important set of mannerist carving formed by the chair / tribune of the board members and the altarpieces. The altarpiece of the chancel, the work of the carver Manuel das Neves under the risk of João da Costa, boasts two great paintings by André Reinoso – the Visitation of the Virgin to Santa Isabel and Pentecost, from around 1628-1630. The collaterals, also by the carver Manuel das Neves, from 1626, gilded by Belchior de Matos (author of the chair), today hold the images of Our Lord of Steps and Our Lady of Sorrow, both of “roca”, topped by paintings also by André Reinoso – Christ on the way to Calvary and the Descent from the Cross.
In the middle of the 18th century, the church was renovated once more, as evidenced by the date of 1744 on the facade, that will date the royal shield that tops the church portal, another that tops the triumphal arch, the painting on the same arch, the two side cupboards of the chancel and the ceiling of the nave, with the royal weapons in the centre. Another highlight is the carved stone pulpit, dated 1596, decorated by charts and scrolls that bears a curious urn to collect offers at the base, and the armoured tombstone of the 17th century Countess of Cavaleiros, D. Luísa Guerra. From his imagery, the magnificent Christ Crucified of probable Spanish origin (17th century) and the images of the Virgin with the Child, Saint Anthony and Saint Joseph stand out.
Attached to this church was the old Hospital of the Almshouse, now converted into a historic inn.